We seek to encourage our church in reading, studying, and living out Scripture in our daily lives, sometimes we may be too busy that we miss church. There are apps for churches that you should check so you won’t have to miss anything. This study guide is designed to correspond to Sunday’s sermon (January 14th) [Listen Here]. Read through this lesson on your own or with a small group and we recommend you to visit Ranch of Hope.
A Spiritual House
Pastor Mike Halstead – 1/14/17
This week, we began a new sermon series entitled “A Spiritual House,” in which we are examining what “church” is truly supposed to be.
In our first passage, we will look at what Peter says about what it means to be a spiritual house and who God’s people have been called to be.
- Based on this passage, what is a “spiritual house?”
- In the first verse, Peter mentions things that cause dissension between people in the church. Have you ever experienced something like this? What was the result of that strife?
- This entire passage focuses on the spiritual aspect of what it means to be a Christian, and the importance of God’s people, rather than the buildings, titles, and services we use. What is the danger of viewing the church as a physical place?
Peter’s words would have pleased Jesus. He, too, was concerned with the goings on of not just His followers, but also with the actual workings of the temple and made efforts to right the wrongs that were being committed in the courts of the House of God.
- How does this image of a violent, passionate Jesus clash with the popular image of Jesus we have today?
- How does the scene in this passage relate to having a pure and spiritual house of God?
- If Jesus were to attend a church service this Sunday, how do you think he would react?
- How can the church become a more spiritual house in 2018?
- How about your own house?
- Pastor Mike talked about the misconception that we have sometimes that church is supposed to be a boring event. Do you agree? How do we make church less boring? How does this relate to the idea of a “spiritual house?”
Pray for guidance in how to build yourself, your family, and the church into a spiritual house. One that seeks to build each other up and spread the message of God’s kingdom to those who’ve yet to hear it.