The Story of Jonah, Part 1
I. You Can Run But…
– Jonah 1:3 But Jonah ran away from the Lord and headed for Tarshish. He went down to Joppa, where he found a ship bound for that port. After paying the fare, he went aboard and sailed for Tarshish to flee from the Lord.
– Received the call Jonah 1:1-2
– Futility Psalm 139:7, Psalm 139:9-10
– The story of your running
– good advice
– your past
II. The ‘gods’ Of The Sailor
– Jonah 1:4-16
– Nature and justice
III. In Our Time of Despair, Jonah 1:17
– A prayer from the deep Jonah 2:1-8
– Why Jonah had to be broken
– A return to foundational beliefs
– Jonah 2:9-10 But I, with shouts of grateful praise, will sacrifice to you.
What I have vowed I will make good. I will say, ‘Salvation comes from the Lord.’”
10 And the Lord commanded the fish, and it vomited Jonah onto dry land.